A visit to the Boothbay region can be anything you want it to be: a peaceful time to refresh your soul, an active time boating, fishing, hiking, playing golf and tennis, or a family adventure. A few of our favorites:
- Saltwater swimming is just across from the inn off the dock. We’ll even supply the beach towels.We also have beach chairs for hanging out at Ocean Point.
- Our quiet neighborhood’s scenic seascape and shoreline is perfect for a leisurely walk and for a little more adventure the Boothbay Region Land Trust has over 30 miles of hiking trails that provide some extraordinary views of the Maine Coastline.
- For golfers the Boothbay Harbor Country Club has undergone a renaissance that has made the country club a premier golf destination.
- Kayaking is one of the most fun and unique ways to explore endless miles of our rocky coastline, harbors and endless small islands that dot the coast. Many of our guests launch their kayaks right across the street on the dock. Kayak Rentals and Guided Tours are also available just minutes from the inn.
- Boothbay has a long history of seafaring activities and Sport Fishing guided by some of the most experienced Captains along the Maine Coast has always been a highlight for visitors. Two of our favorites from right here in East Boothbay are Captain Barry Gibson and the Shark Six and Breakaway Sportfishing with Captain Pete Ripley.
Sightseeing and Exploring:
- There is always something special about being on the ocean and Boothbay Harbor offers exceptional opportunities for Whale Watching or Puffin Nature Cruises or a variety of Harbor Tours and excursions to Monhegan Island.
- Sailing adventures are another great way to enjoy a day on the water and the Schooner Eastwind and the Lazy Jack are always a highlight.
- You have to eat, right? Well Cabbage Island Clambakes have combined a harbor tour to their private island with a traditional Maine Clambake.
- With over 250 acres of nature trails be sure not to miss the dazzling Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay! These gardens have become world class and are a major attraction in the Boothbay area. TripAdvisor rated Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens #1 for mid-coast Maine attractions and USA Today just named CMBG one of the top 10 (actually 6th) Botanical Gardens in the U.S.
- Lighthouses are ubiquitous in Maine and we are lucky to have two spectacular examples; Pemaquid Point Lighthouse and Burnt Island Lighthouse a short drive away.
- A guided tour of Boothbay Harbor coupled with a sampling of some of the culinary delights that highlight the Boothbay culinary scene by Maine Foodie Tours.
Arts & Entertainment:
- For live entertainment The Opera House, built in 1894, offers nationally renowned performers. The Opera House has been voted the Best Seaside Concert Hall in Maine by Down East Magazine. The Salt Bay Chamberfest in nearby Damariscotta brings some of the country’s most talented musicians to the Maine coast and New York NPR named the Salt Bay Chamberfest one of North America’s top five most scenic music festivals.For a perfect evening after a day exploring Boothbay Harbor try the dinner theater at the Carousel Music Theater. Dinner, music and fun – what a great combination!
- For museum-goers: Farnsworth Art Museum; this wonderful museum features works by some of the great names in 18th- and 19th-century art history like Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Sully, Thomas Eakins, Eastman Johnson and Fitz Hugh Lane. The Wyeth Center showcases three generations of this first family of American art with a comprehensive collection of Maine-related artwork by N.C. Wyeth, his son Andrew Wyeth and Andrew’s son, James Wyeth. Owls Head Transportation Museum is known internationally for its collection of pioneer aircraft, historic automobiles, bicycles, motorcycles, carriages and engines. Maine Maritime Museum located in the historic Shipbuilding town of Bath is a celebration of Maine’s maritime heritage and culture. One of our favorite attractions are the multitude of lighthouses along the Maine coast and The Maine Lighthouse Museum is a must-see for anyone interested in lighthouses and American maritime history!
- We have many talented local artists and a variety of galleries in the Boothbay Harbor area. Right here in East Boothbay you will find one of the best at Corinne McIntyre’s Ocean Point Studio or the Gleason Gallery in Boothbay Harbor and in nearby Damariscotta Jan Kilburn’s Bristol Road Gallery.
- First, let’s take care of the essentials. Whether an early morning cup of coffee and newspaper or a terrific selection of wine, local beer and homemade snacks for the perfect afternoon cocktail on the inn’s porch, Liz has made the East Boothbay General Store a must on any trip to East Boothbay.
- The Boothbay Harbor Region abounds with artists and craftsmen, diverse galleries, antique shops and specialty stores. Stroll and shop through Boothbay Harbor’s streets and along the waterfront. You’ll find distinctive, high quality glass and pottery, traditional and designer clothing, handmade jewelry, nautical home decor, books about the region by local authors, footwear, gifts, toys, and original art in various styles and media.
- And of course the mecca of shopping in the midcoast region: Freeport and LL Bean.
Although in keeping with tradition, Susan’s Five Gables Inn breakfasts will leave you feeling like you may not need to eat for the rest of the day, however, after a day of exploring the Boothbay Harbor Region you will be ready for a nice evening out. The good news is that we have over 50 restaurants catering to all tastes.
A few of our favorites right here in the Harbor:
- Ports of Italy – fine northern Italian,
- Carriage House – Classic re-imagined coastal Maine fare set in a boat builder themed interior and it’s just down the street!
- The Thistle – cozy country tavern combining charm and great food,
- Lobstermans Wharf – great seafood just down the street, incredible outdoor deck,
- Robinson’s Wharf – a local institution offering Maine fresh seafood in a gorgeous natural setting.
- Coastal Prime– Outdoor deck with incredible views overlooking Boothbay Harbor, amazing sunsets, Maine cocktail hour at its best!
- Maine Foodie Tours-Experience Boothbay Harbor’s culinary scene with a guided tour of the Harbor combined with a sample of some of our amazing Maine food treats.
And in nearby Damariscotta check out:
- Damariscotta River Grill -fine dining with a mid coast Maine feel
- King Eiders Pub – combine oysters & an old English pub
The above list is a sampling of some of the highlights in this incredible area, for a more complete list check out our Boothbay Harbor Chamber of Commerce website or our new Boothbay Harbor Region Guide Book.